Dr. Hoidal is trained on advanced dental implant procedures to restore your oral comfort and function. These procedures include immediate implant loading to reduce treatment time and discomfort, implant stabilization of denture appliances, and sinus lifts to provide greater bone stability.
One of his highest priorities is patient education. During an initial examination and consultation, he will discuss all options for treatment and help you come to an informed decision. Please do not hesitate to voice any questions you may have.
Replacing a Missing Tooth
A natural tooth is anchored into the jawbone by its tooth root. Tooth roots attach firmly to the jawbone and keep your teeth stable when chewing solid foods.
Traditionally, if you were missing a tooth or if one needed to be extracted, the healthy teeth on either side of the missing tooth would be cut down and the whole thing replaced with a three-crown "bridge."
Dental implants are the modern alternative. Instead of cutting down two perfectly healthy teeth, the practitioner inserts a dental post (dental implant) into the jawbone to replace your missing tooth root. This post becomes solidly fixed into your jaw (like a natural tooth root). Your general dentist then places a crown onto this artificial tooth root that looks, feels, and functions like your natural teeth.
Quite simply, dental implants are the most natural replacement for missing teeth.
Replacing Several Missing Teeth
Traditionally, several missing teeth would have been replaced with a removable partial or full denture.
Dentures have to be taken out and soaked at night. During the day, they can also look unnatural and rub painfully. Dentures and partials make it difficult or impossible to eat certain foods.
Dental implants can now be used to anchor partial and full dentures. This prevents the slipping, irritation, and pain associated with "floating" partials and dentures. It also prevents the tedious removal of dentures for overnight soaking and cleaning. Dental implants also eliminate the need for dental adhesives. This allows you to enjoy eating the foods you previously avoided . With dental implants, your partials or dentures are firmly anchored to the jawbone, causing them to feel much more like natural teeth.
Natural tooth roots and dental implant posts are fixed firmly in your jawbone. When you chew, these tooth roots and posts stimulate the jawbone and prevent it from shrinking. You may have seen a person who looked prematurely old because their jawbone had shrunk after wearing floating dentures. Dental implants help preserve your jawbone and appearance.
Multiple Implant Bridges Implant Supported Denture Implant Supported Denture
The Success Rate of Dental Implants
After their healing period, the success rate of dental implants is between 94% and 98%. If you are a non-smoker with good oral hygiene, the percentage is closer to 98%.
Does the Procedure Hurt?
Dentures can cause bone loss, due to lack of stimulation.
The discomfort involved with receiving a dental implant is similar to that of having a cavity filled. It is often done under local anesthesia and patients generally experience little discomfort after the procedure.
How Long Will Dental Implants Last?
Dental implants become fixed to the jawbone. Though the life span of a dental implant will vary with each patient, many have lasted for over 30 years. With good oral hygiene and regular cleanings, dental implants should last a lifetime. In contrast, the average life span of a traditional fixed bridge is between 10-15 years.
Precision Implant Placement
A key to dental implant safety and success is advanced radiography. A CAT scan ensures that every possible precaution has been made to reduce the risk of involvement of the nerves in the lower jaw, and the sinuses and nose in the upper jaw. This helps to reduce chair time and the possibility of complications.
Until recently, CAT scans were only done in hospitals or medical facilities. Dr. Hoidal is proud to be able to provide this extra level of precision and safety to his patients.
A critical question in determining whether an implant can be placed is, "Is there enough bone to support the implant?" Fortunately, advanced bone regeneration techniques now make it possible to place many more implants than just 10 years ago.
Am I a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Dental implant treatment begins with an evaluation by your general dentist who will determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure. If he feels dental implants might be possible, he will send you to a periodontist for a placement evaluation.
For More Information
The following sites will provide you with more information on dental implants:
- Academy of Osseointegration - Frequently Asked Questions
- American Academy of Periodontology Article:
Dental Implants: Teeth That Look and Feel Like Your Own
- Great Rx for my issues. Office people helpful and pleasant. Office location gives nice ambience. Dr.Hoidal treated my issue with apparent cure for long...Peter Kiessling
- Friendly reception, short waiting time, thorough exam and good explanation of processPaul Hathaway
- Dr Hoidal is the best! I highly recommend him.Donna Moore
- They were friendly and professional with excellent care. They made a scary event so much better. Being born in the 40's dentist have not been my favorite people but you guys have changed my mind. Thank you.Diana Bergstrom
- Friendly and very professionalFred
- Thank you to Dr. Hoidal and his staff for being open during the "snow apocalypse"!!! After calling multiple offices for two days, trying to find one open to...Pam C.
- Initially I was quite scared about going to see this care provider who was recommended by my dentist. Dr. Hoidal, Jan, Heather and the entire staff could not...Pat
- Great staff & calming views of the river too.Sylvia Hartmann
- I was also impressed with his staff, from the front desk, the scheduler, the dental assistants. They too know what to do and how to do.Eric Schmidt
- I was referred from Dr. Steven Darling to Dr. Matt Hoidal. Dr. Hoidal is pleasant to his patients. He will do the best he can for his patients as needed....Paula Rubio
- A very friendly office staff which makes patients comfortable the moment they enter the office. Dr. Holidal is very professional and keeps his patients appraised of all the procedures he is doing. I can highly recommend this clinic.Carl
- Dr.Hoidal and staff are amazing. Great experience!Heather Hedstrom Kanning
- An absolutely fantastic environment, friendly staff, and amazing performance. Everything went smoothly and turned out great, would definitely recommend for...Stefanie Hinkaew
- We took our younger daughter in for a gum graph, and the whole team handled her with care and made us feel all at ease for a "scary procedure" for her. It...Whitney Bechtold
- Everything is now sound and the new bridge is on its way.At all times, I was very pleased with his approach, thoroughness of his diagnosis and plan, and his manner.Dick Raub
- The entire staff were very friendly and Dr Hoidal was also just as nice. I...Katina A.
- I was very nervous for my procedure but I was taken very good care of and I have the best results...Lisa N.
- A great experience, even though it was gum surgery. A wonderful staff, terrific doctor and a beautiful view to boot!Tammy Lawrence
- I had a very positive experience here at dr Hoidal's office. Patient care is a premium. My procedure was a soft graft and I'm having excellent results. This...Dennis H.